AAA Earthworx
Wilmot Dam Expansion January 2020

Wilmot Dam Expansion January 2020

This project was undertaken to increase the size of the original dam on this property. After all the permits were in place, we started to clear around the original dam, which was far too small and unable to provide enough water holding capacity to service the paddocks and animals on the property. It is unknown to the owners when the original dam was put in place, other than the natural waterway was used. After we consulted the Wetlands and Waterways Works Manual on their website, we calculated that it only held at the most 5000 litres, making it woefully inadequate in size. We started by clearing the brush and tree's around the dam, to help make it easier to service equipment and to remove overgrown shrubs that weren't native to the area. This would allow the owners to use the trees (Silver Wattle's) as firewood, and enable them to plant native undergrowth around the dam, to help filter the water making it cleaner for the animals, and taking into consideration the downstream effects to help clean up the water supply that continued to flow out of the property. A rock overflow spillway was also installed, as well as moving the walls back, and making the depth deeper to where the natural clay would allow without breaking through. This helped to increase the size of the dam significantly, and another natural spring was discovered coming in from the back side wall, that was left alone. Increasing the size of the dam, not only helped with the water holding capacity but also helps sediment to settle, clearing up the water from upstream. As the newly planted water plants that were put in place upstream grow, they will also help to stop sediment from entering the main dam, and also fertilise themselves, and allow hiding places for wildlife to thrive. Three months after work was complete, the owners discovered that they had Platypuses frequenting the dam, that had come from upstream where there are other larger dams on an adjacent property.
Wilmot Driveway August 2015

Wilmot Driveway August 2015

This project that was undertaken at Wilmot, was undertaken due to the bad shape the original driveway was in. This driveway was essentially developed in the wrong place and was originally just a track that people had used to get from the road to the house, and over time, became the main access, and eventually cut into the ground to become a driveway. From what could be determined, the driveway crossed over a natural underground spring about a quarter of the way up, and the more fill we put in to level and compact the road base to prepare it for Bitumen, the more it would sink. The driveway was also washing away over the years, as it was the main water channel that had developed when being used by vehicles, with the amount of water, simply washing away the material that was holding the driveway together, which got to the point that the clients couldn't get their vehicle's up the driveway. The clients had contacted several other contractors to see what could be done, with the majority just wanting to add more fill, essentially doing a quick fix. We advised them that to do it properly, that the drainage would need to be addressed first, then the driveway. As you can see from the photos, the work was extensive, and took a few months, despite the weather, to complete. The results speak for themselves, and years later, with the client's since moving on, the driveway and drainage are still holding together and look fantastic.
© AAA Earthworx 2022    ABN 39 863 211 304
Website Design by Diemen Design